Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Great cookbook: The Nourished Kitchen by Jennifer McGruther

The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Dairy, and Kombuchas
The Nourished Kitchen
by Jennifer McGruther
published by TenSpeed Press (one of my favorite publishing companies!)

I was SO excited to receive this book! 
I try to follow as healthy a lifestyle as possible. I'm the kind of person who reads and rereads my family's copy of Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon thoroughly! I use the latter constantly, and am always searching online for good recipes as well as inventing my own. I was delighted when I saw this new book, which is recommended by the afore-mentioned Sally Fallon Morell, Joel Salatin and more. Although I love to come up with new recipes, oftentimes I just need a tried-and-true recipe. I also love an expert's advice. This large book has everything. Not to mention warm-toned and appealing photographs which compliment many of the recipes throughout the book!
If you are wondering the necessity of owning this book as well as Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, I do recommend both. The Nourished Kitchen goes beyond what the former book offers. It focuses on recipes you will want to incorporate in your daily meals. I can't wait to start using this book! I've already started a new sourdough culture, tweaked my water kefir routine, and will use my sourdough starter in some new ways. 
I loved how this book talked about water kefir, different recipes for sourdough starter, sprouted grains, as well as a delicious variety of main dish recipes...
I found the first half of the book to be more useful than the second half, which focuses more on fresh vegetables and fruits. The latter sections present rather basic recipes with only a few ingredients as opposed to the more unusual fermented recipes in the first sections. 

As is obvious, I recommend this book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment