Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The VB6 Cookbook- a review

The VB6 Cookbook: More than 350 Recipes for Healthy Vegan Meals All Day and Delicious Flexitarian Dinners at NightThe VB6 Cookbook by Mark Bittman
   This is an interesting cookbook published by Potter.
   As Mark Bittman makes a point in the preface, the VB6 (Vegan before 6, meaning keeping all meals before 6 pm. light and easy on the body) method is not simply a new diet. Instead of being just another diet to try for a month and then discard, the VB6 method is a lifestyle. A lifestyle to help you find your maximum vitality!
   I thought the recipes very fresh, tasty and interesting. Nothing boring about Mark Bittman's style of vegetarian! I loved how eating vegetarian isn't his...idol. He allows himself a real meal for dinner, and occasionally even allows himself a big breakfast as a treat! That reminds me of my eating lifestyle. Now, personally I don't agree with eating vegetarian. What Mark Bittman has overlooked is that meats, dairy and nuts are high in necessary nutrients for our bodies! We were meant to be omnivores. On the other hand, we rarely get enough vegetables into our diet so I appreciate all the vibrant and delicious recipes provided in this book! Although I include meat in my diet on purpose, I don't eat it at every meal and sometimes I do purposely decide on a vegetarian cleanse, therefore I am excited that this book includes such recipes as ''eggplant meatballs''.
To conclude, although I don't agree with the VB6 lifestyle, most of the recipes in this book are great for me, and that means anyone who wants more creativity in the realm of vegetables!


Biography

Mark Bittman is one of the country's best-known, most widely respected food writers. His How to Cook Everything books, with one million copies in print, are a mainstay of the modern kitchen. Bittman writes for the Opinion section of the New York Times on food policy and cooking and is a columnist for the New York Times magazine. He is regularly featured on the Today Show in How To Cook Everything Today cooking segments. For 13 years he wrote "The Minimalist" column and now a "Minimalist" cooking show is featured on the Cooking Channel. The How to Cook Everything series is highly respected: the first edition of the flagship book How to Cook Everything won both the IACP and James Beard Awards, and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian won the 2008 IACP award. He is also the author of Food Matters, Food Matters Cookbook, Fish, and Leafy Greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment