Monday, March 2, 2015

Your Beautiful Heart by Lauren Scruggs

by Lauren Scruggs with Lisa Velthouse

A book always has more power when the author who creates it has a story. Lauren Scruggs certainly has one. Former fashion model, and proclaimed beauty from a young age, Lauren was tragically hit by a plane propeller in 2011. As a result, she underwent surgeries and a painful recovery. She lost most of her left arm and left eye. I cannot imagine the pain she must have suffered, both physically and emotionally. I have not read her first book, Still Lolo, but I assume it covers that journey. This her second book is specifically designed as a 31-day devotional for women. 
It is not an autobiography, as I first assumed (not knowing about her first book Still Lolo), but does draw from various lessons she has learnt throughout her life, including her accident and recovery. 
Women will be pleased to find that Lauren doesn't draw attention to herself in this book. She is all about God's glory and helping you, the reader. 
Each chapter begins with a real-life story to help you engage and open up your heart to the lessons which follow. I appreciated this stable, organized method of presenting the devotions. There is also lovely graphic design throughout the book of inspirational phrases and words. 
I do recommend this book for Christian women. I would not endorse it for non-believers because the author includes promises and encouragement meant for believers. 
On a critical note, I think this book is too encouraging for more hard-hearted women such as myself. Lauren Scruggs and Lisa Velthouse repeatedly assure the reader that no sinner is too sinful for God and such which is true, but some of us need to hear more about how we need to repent! You will know what I mean if you read the book. Therefore, I recommend this book for women going through a healing time! Women who have been through and who are in the valley of the shadow of death.

I do love how the author points out that beauty is not what matters; it is most definitely the heart! As you can imagine, she puts this cliche phrase in a whole new meaning. Like I mentioned at first, knowing that the author went through such a hard trial makes her advice much more potent. 


 Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for this honest review. 


Displaying Kennedy-Scruggs906.JPG
Lauren and Jason's wedding, after the accident
Photo credit: Photo credits: Lindsey Brittain and Kat Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment